My Story

I made a story for school and I’ve decided to publish the first few chapters starting with chapter one…

Chapter 1 – Who am I?

That was the fateful day when an un-ordinary thing happened in my most ordinary life. Want a few more details? Let me explain. I live in North Carolina and am a programmer at the North Carolina branch of Pear computers, the world’s largest company. I am an ordinary person if there ever is one. I live by myself in an apartment in Raleigh downtown near my office. If there is one thing I dislike, it’s planes. My grandpa died in a plane crash, so I have a high dislike for them. It all started on a (seemingly) ordinary day 4/3/2010. I woke up, got ready by 8:28, and went to the bagel shop one block from my house, and then drove to my office. I arrived and flicked on my (Pear) computer and picked off from the line of code I left off from last night. Oh right, I had a deadline for 6/21/2010 which was we were going to release our annual update. The executives and managers and UI designers at headquarters had a conference and gave us some drawings and a paragraph of what we should write, so the entire NC division of 500 people was put on the job of coding the video conferencing app. I was writing, testing, and waiting for lunch. At 12 our manager’s deep voice announced a 30-minute lunch break, I went to the company café where today they were giving burgers. I ate them and walked back to my office and saw the manager at my cube, was I being fired?! Probably not because he was smiling. He told me I was promoted, and I would get 100 $ an hour! Just when I was celebrating like crazy inside, he told me it was my job to go to the marketing branch in Japan. I asked him if it involved going on a plane and he said yes and slapped a ticket to Japan and he told me I really should start packing and moving. I asked whether I must go. His smile melted and he told in a menacing tone “Either you go, or you get demoted. There are plenty of people who want your job. Understand?” $ 100 an hour was too much to refuse. So, I spent the next 5 odd hours moving from my cube to a spacious office room, received a brand-new high-end computer, and got settled. A few minutes later the bell that dismissed the 9-5 people like me rang. I packed up my laptop and drove to my home. Then I packed up my luggage and played video games for two good hours. The next morning, I drove to the airport and did the security process, and now am at the coffee shop next to the gate.

Be the first to comment on "My Story"